We knew we were going to have an adventure and there would be a learning curve to winter out here. Who knew our first winter here would start with a bang? The first snowfall we didn't have our snowblower. The second major snowfall was a doosey, dumping over a foot at once coupled with a raging wind and very cold temperatures. Luckily this one hit on Friday/Saturday because we were stuck! We tried to remove the snow as it came but the wind just blew it right back and by the next morning it was packed solid in knee to shoulder high drifts. Our township couldn't even get a regular plow threw our street up to our driveway, they had to find a guy with a thrower to come out. Luckily he did not work for the town and was willing to let us hire him to dig us out. He was our hero that weekend! Now, with the latest snow, my car refused to get up the driveway after only 2 fluffy inches of snow. I ended up getting it stuck pretty deep and plowing a good portion of the yard to get it loose only to end up sliding deeper in before using some not so pretty language and giving up to let Jason give it a try. He got it out only to get it stuck in another part of the driveway and I had him try to push me with his truck, well his truck is taller than my car and took out one of my tail lights. Now my 10 year old car with the non-matching gas cap cover has one head light missing and a tail light broken into pieces. It's starting to look more and more like an old clunker each day. I am cranky about the month of December and am hoping January will be milder.
A view looking up the driveway. The big drift on the right was just below my shoulder height.
From the top looking down, there were parts of our cement still showing after the big storm, the wind just kept making drifts in odd places.
Our hero. I really admired his snow equipment, it looked like a lot of fun!Jason took his truck down the driveway during the snowfall only to reach a drift and come to a stop. After 15 minutes of being stuck you couldn't even see the tracks behind him, the drifts had filled in that quickly. We've just decided if we are expecting snow than one/both of us are parking near the bottom of our driveway as it's much easier to blow/shovel the lower portion out if we need to get out and about rather than being stranded another 1/4 mile up the road.




2 comments:
Man! this was the crankiest x-mas posting ever! Although, if it wasn't 55 here on xmas I probably would be in the same boat. Just wait until February...
I know, I had to catch up on the snow, I was actually starting a Christmas one as you commented. :)
Post a Comment